[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Feb 9 05:15:49 UTC 2013

On 02/07/2013 05:06 AM, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Thursday 07 February 2013 00:17:37 david wrote:
>> Hmm, does commenting on the Internet Archive require registering for yet
>> another user login?
>
> I think this is one of the big issues why much commenting and feedback does
> not happen.

It does provide a small additional barrier. But it's probably not a big
issue.

I suspect in the case of musicians and other artist-types - they're too
busy creating their own things to provide any feedback about the tools
they use. Someone painting a picture in oils probably never gives any
specific feedback to the company that made a brush they're using. The
most the company might get is indirect feedback: artist doesn't like the
brush, artist doesn't buy that brush again.

Now imagine that artist is supposed to give the brush manufacturer
detailed feedback: the bristles didn't spread out evenly when painting
with it, so the paint on one part of the brush went on thicker than
another part. I kind of doubt any artist would report that degree of
feedback to the manufacturer.

How does that connect with software? Software is much more complex than
a paintbrush, can have many more things go wrong with it. Reporting that
kind of detail for software is kind of necessary if the developer is
going to fix the problem. I doubt that the majority of users go to that
degree of detail unless it's a showstopper for them. And they may not
have the time for the developer to identify the problem, fix it, and for
the user to test the fix: They've got to have this recording session done.

One thing programs could do is keep logs. An error log could be usable
to at least start figuring out what went wrong.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community