[LAU] jackdbus eating 100% cpu after a while

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Feb 9 15:10:37 UTC 2013

On Sat, February 9, 2013 4:11 am, James Stone wrote:

> I am also running Ubuntu 12.10 and using jackdbus. It is really nice
> for things like playing along to youtube videos.. On my computer, I
> noticed that jack does have a tendency to lockup after a while when
> jackdbus is running. I had the feeling that it might be something to
> do with latency, as I found it is impossible to start jack at very low
> latencies with jackdbus running.

I haven't had that problem -p 32 r 48000 starts on my D66 with no
problems. 32 samples is pushing it for this system though, just changing
workspace is enough to give an xrun sometimes. bumping it up to 64 seems
to be enough. I am using a 10year old P4 at 2.4Ghz. In general, I have
found pulse seems to take twice the cpu that jackdbus does at the same
latency. (according to top)

> I was using 128 samples which seemed
> to be OK, but at that latency, the lockups occurred after some time. I
> tried increasing latency to 256 samples/44.1k. Following this, it
> seems to operate fine (at least I have had no more dropouts), but it
> is all a bit fiddly to get it to work properly, and I would probably
> disable pulse if I wanted to do serious recording etc without the
> mixing capabilities that jackdbus adds..

I have found that unloading the module-jackdbus-detect module while
recording is just as effective. Pulse uses very little resources with the
PA-jack bridge unloaded. It can be reloaded when finished recording or
just pulseaudio -k

I have a script that does this... as well as a few other things (turn off
cron and other services I don't need, set CPU governor to a steady state,
etc)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net