[LAU] The Psychology of Music

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Feb 10 03:04:35 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 11:04 PM, Folderol wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 19:24:56 -1000
> david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

>>> So now we have quantitative proof that the Ancient Greeks' views on
>>> music were correct.
>>
>> In the context of Ancient Greek culture.
>
> Examine something you love too rigoruosly and it loses its magic.
>
> Personally, I prefer to keep the magic.

It is quite possible to have both. For instance, I know all the science
behind HTML and how it works. Yet I still consider it magic when I do
something in an HTML file and the browser displays it. :-)

I have a friend who intensely dislikes synthesizer music. To his ears,
it all sounds "dry as dust ... the musician doesn't have a relationship
with their instrument ... Lifeless." But he's the guy who prefers to
listen to Baroque or Classical music played on period instruments, anyway.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community