[LAU] kernel changes -was - So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Feb 10 17:25:06 UTC 2013

On Sun, February 10, 2013 8:59 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-02-10 at 08:14 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
>> On Sun, February 10, 2013 2:57 am, Folderol wrote:
>>
>> > One thing I find confusing is the way the kernel performance changes
>> so
>> > dramatically from one version to the next.
>> >
>> > In debian testing, 64bit V3.1 vanilla works beautifully on my current
>> > machine, but V3.2 requires jack to be set to 4x the latency! That's
>> for
>> > both
>> > vanilla & RT.
>>
>> This may or not be it, but try looking at the irq assignment from one to
>> the next. The kernel sets IRQs for at least some of the devices.
>
> The only difference for the IRQ I noticed between older and newer kernel
> versions are different IRQs for the graphics. The graphics on my machine
> doesn't share it's IRQ with another device any more.

Ok, your machine, but the reply was for someone else. No matter you do say
irqs did change which is what I was saying.

What I am says though is that I'm not sure these problems are kernel
problems. They may be kernel module problems or something else. I have
used all of these kernel versions and been able to run low latency on all
of them no problems (ICE1712 based card). Other people on this list have
had no problems too. Yet there is not just one person with this same
problem. We (on this list) might do well to explore the differences
between our hardware/software to see if we can find the problem.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net