[LAU] kernel changes -was - So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Feb 10 17:37:29 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-02-10 at 09:25 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
> What I am says though is that I'm not sure these problems are kernel
> problems. They may be kernel module problems or something else. I have
> used all of these kernel versions and been able to run low latency on all
> of them no problems (ICE1712 based card). Other people on this list have
> had no problems too. Yet there is not just one person with this same
> problem. We (on this list) might do well to explore the differences
> between our hardware/software to see if we can find the problem.

Hi Len :)

regarding to latency and xruns _on my machine_ two cheap ICE1712 PCI
cards are working better on Linux, than my RME PCI express card. Tested
with kernels from 2.6.29 full preempt on Debian to

$ uname -a
Linux q 3.6.5-rt14 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Fri Nov 2 21:36:37 CET 2012 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 12.10 \n \l

Regards,