[LAU] [Fwd: Re: Fuck your sexism]

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sun Feb 10 20:50:00 UTC 2013

On 02/10/2013 09:14 PM, SxDx wrote:
> Whatever I write would not be convincing. I am an asshole.
> I accept that.
>
> But! maybe the following argument would at
> least open up your mind on sexism.
>
> How did you come to linux? or hacking? or computer science?
> How does one human being come to that? Is there a special
> pattern?
>
> My bet is: no. It's pure random. At point t in time you
> don't care, at point t+dt you care and roll on.
>
> If this is right, why don't we find 50% of female humans,
> as in the general population?
>
> So there is a problem. You don't see it because you are
> males.

i'm acutely aware of the very low percentage of women in the open source
community, thank you.

> All of you. No female friend to talk to you about
> what she lives.

i feel the need to point out that i have many female friends and
respected colleagues, and i like to discuss gender issues with them, or
ask them stupid questions about calculus, or what their current research
projects are.

> Dig a bit on the web. Recently several
> women in tech went public on how they are treated by
> you, males.

that is a very stupid remark. it's also at least a hundred times more
sexist than the image that caused the original outrage.

i've actually followed the whole discussion of sexist aggression on
technical conferences quite closely. and i refuse to be summarily
condemned together with pimpled 20 year old jerks who suddenly realize
they somehow missed puberty, just because i happen to be of the same gender.

manga aesthetics can and should be discussed. however, the fact is that
manga boys look and behave just as stereotypically stupid as manga
girls, so i don't see why it should be sexist. still, people of any
gender love it. fair enough.

the original poster made it sound like he saw a piece of hentai porn. at
the risk of exposing myself to giggles and snide remarks: i blushed when
i heard of a "subservient pose", thinking omg, some pimpled nerd did
something really tasteless here.
and clicking that link with trembling hands, what do i find? a girlie
stereotype with fuzzy ears and large eyes standing around like she has
to pee. if that is what's left of sexist imagery, we've sure come a long
way.

sadly, that's not the case, so conserve your precious outrage and direct
it at real problems.

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net