[LAU] kernel changes -was - So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Feb 10 20:59:52 UTC 2013

On Sun, February 10, 2013 10:25 am, Harry van Haaren wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Louis Gorenfeld
> <louis.gorenfeld at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> devices don't perform as well on the 3.x series kernels compared to my
>> old
>> trusty 2.6.33,
>>

> I used to be of the same opinion. Currently running a 3.6.11-rt kernel,
> and
> getting very low latencies from it, on a modest 5 year old laptop.
> We're talking 0.666 ms, while compiling a kernel, 0 xruns.
>
> Notes:
> -logged in as root (yes yes, i know)
> -rtirq running on startup to fix interrupts
> -wifi is a killer, turn it off (Thanks to Jeremy's LAC workshop on RT-ing
> system, I didn't know about it till then)

Same thing on my acer wireless net IF. In my case turning it off is not
enough, I have to unload the kernel module for it.

> -as few daemons as possible

When I suggest this, I get "this is 2013 now, any recent HW can handle
whatever is in there". :P

Start with cron and buddies that may want check if there is new software
available or scan the whole disc for new files to make search faster.

any of the sql services unless your software has to have them.

One of my personal goals is to find out what all the stuff running on my
system is there for. Not just the system stuff at start up but also the
session stuff that starts when the session does. For example, there is a
copy of thunar running that allows files in my Desktop directory to show
on my desktop. I don't use this feature... I don't need it. (I have all
icons turned off on my desktop) Anything that is on my desktop is normally
covered by apps anyway...

> -there is no proprietary driver for the Ati HD2400XT integrated for the
> 3.x
> series kernel. Hence "normal" graphics, no 3d acceleration

Graphic sparkle is another thing I could use less of. There are some audio
apps that use libs that use graphic acceleration. Having drivers that
support that means the GPU is doing things your CPU doesn't have to. But
the open drivers seem to do that pretty good these days.

> Details:
> Acer travelmate laptop: Intel Core2Duo 2.0 Ghz
> Arch linux based system: Linux audio 3.6.11-rt25-1-rt #1 SMP PREEMPT RT
> Tue
> Dec 25 00:18:17 CET 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> Soundcards: RME Multiface II, running trough PCMCIA adapter. Also have an
> Echo Indigo DJ card, PCMCIA too.

PCMCIA is, as far as I know, connected as if it was PCI.

Yes I am looking for a pattern. So far I am seeing PCI cards work well.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net