[LAU] [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ? OP reply.

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 21:52:46 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com>wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've spent this morning reading through the ~200 replies to the topic. IMO
> the thread has devolved gracefully and I have the information I was looking
> for.
>
> I'll make a fuller reply after I get into my article, but it's clear that
> the most pressing need is for more skilled developers. This is in stark
> contrast to the scene in 2000 - at that time virtually every member of
> LAU/LAD was a developer and/or technically involved user. Few of us were
> "just musicians". Now it looks like the musicians outnumber the devs, a not
> entirely unhappy situation, despite evident problems rising from the
> imbalance.

It would be great if we could get more students involved in linux audio.  8
years ago, I picked up linux in order to program some DSP audio code that I
was thinking about.  It really lowered the barrier of entry into audio
programming.  I think more engineering students could get involved, knowing
some of the things you can do with linux.

My university didn't have an audio program--there were maybe just a few
engineers I knew that were strongly inclined to work on audio or
acoustics.  There is a lack of collaboration between engineering and
art/music students here and very little direction from professors
concerning art and technology--but I see some of that beginning to change.

I think that linux is much more well known and it's easier than ever to get
started.  So--might I suggest to do something more for student outreach?
What do you think would make a difference?

Chuck