[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Feb 10 22:54:40 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM, <gerald.mwangi at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi
>

> -- Sent from my HP TouchPad
> ------------------------------
> On 10.02.2013 23:30, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM, <gerald.mwangi at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Auto mode for JACK latency is a good idea.
>>  I have another proposition: a dedicated graphical front-end for jack
>> session. It could help users setup their workflow , by providing a list of
>> all the jack aware programs installed, categorized by type (sampler, daw,
>> synth). The program should aid in setting up a project , eg firing up
>> ardour with several tracks, firing up synths (lv2 instruments/hosts incl)
>> with presets selectable from the front-end with a preview sound. The
>> front-end could trigger the synth in question with a midi note when
>> selecting a preset. Lv2 plugins, that is pure audio effects, could also
>> listed with the ability to directly send a signal from the audio interface
>> through the selected plugin to quickly hear what it does. One could then
>> associate the selected plugin with, say a track in ardour, and another
>> plugin with a track in hydrogen or so.
>>

> what you are describing is basically the "monolithic app" experience (from
> a user perspective) but created using a set of independent applications and
> processes.
>
> speaking personally, i think there are better things to do with our time.
>

> Well just for the initialization of the project. The diversity experience
> of the multiple programs , ecosystem shall still be preserved

(1) your HTTP-only email confuses even gmail, and is probably inappropriate
for a technically oriented mailing list like this one.

(2) i'm not really that interested in preserving the "diversity
experience". i think it is much more valuable for developers, who get to
work on their own custom, standalone apps rather than being forced into a
framework as happens with plugin developers. there are a LOT of "linux
audio apps" that would be much more useful as plugins than they are as
standalone JACK clients. but this is only helpful for users, and puts
limitations on developers. look around you to see the result ....