[LAU] [Fwd: Re: Fuck your sexism]

James Harkins jamshark70 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 01:40:41 UTC 2013

Keeping it short:

- Online discussions of racism/sexism/homophobia are almost guaranteed to draw
out idiotic comments. Those usually cluster into hypersensitivity to the issues,
and denial of the same. Sadly, this thread is no exception.

- The kind of sexism (IMO) that discourages women from being active in
electronic music starts long before they would have anything to do with LAU. I
recall reading about an observational study of grade school math classes, where
the researchers tried to measure the teachers' interactions with the students,
broken down by gender. They found, in general, that teachers paid more attention
to boys and gave them more positive feedback than for girls. I don't remember if
they had different results for subjects other than math, but I do remember one
of their conclusions was that the teachers were showing a subconscious bias
against girls wrt math. If that's so, it's a partial explanation why electronic
music communities are so heavily male.

- FalkTX may have had some good reasons to choose that image, but choosing it
was insensitive at best. Sometimes there are good reasons to be insensitive, but
for a screen wallpaper? (Chinese web and chat apps have an emoticon of somebody
picking his nose. I would use it here if I could.)

hjh