[LAU] [Fwd: Re: Fuck your sexism]

Louis louis.gorenfeld at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 03:16:52 UTC 2013

I also read a study that was interesting which was about how the popular image of engineering (iirc they used a sea of empty jolt cola cans and pizza boxes for their social experiment) was a big turn off for women who were around the age where they were deciding on a career. I wish I could find it.

Speaking as someone who was interested in computers enough to make me good at math, I wonder if a lot of the discrepancy comes down to culture and interest. I did very badly in mathematics in grade school and picked up the slack in college, and it was because I liked the subject enough. It's entirely possible that we'll see attitudes change in upcoming generations as more people are addicted to computers and catch the bug to want to create software.

Btw, there's a similar gender discrepancy in electronic music (as far as I've noticed), and that requires no math... There's more going on here than sexism, afaik.

Sent from my iPhone