[LAU] Session manager: what about?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Feb 11 15:44:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 16:00 +0100, Ivan Tarozzi wrote:
> Hi,
> I write to ask about session manager solutions. I use ladish for 1 year
> and these days I'm trying jack-session (using qjackctl) to see how differs.
>
> I hear about non-session but never used.
>
> Which is, in your opinion, the best solution actually?
>
> Here my newbie considerations:
>
> ladish
> ------
> pro:
> - I can execute also unsupported applications (level 0)
> - integrated patch UI (gladish)
> - extra-features  like rooms (state?)
>
> cons:
> - I need to write manually app name (command) when create a new studio
> - I need to "remember" options to my applications to save presets or similar
>
> jack-session
> ------------
> pro:
> - save the state of current jack applications, without write a single
> command
>
> cons:
> - unsupported application are not executed when session is opened
> - lacks of features as rooms or grouping
>
> I know may be some of cons are about the actual UI instead of session
> manager itself.
>
> Because I use occasionally music production software, my first
> requirement is to save the session in terms of connections and opened
> applications, and then reopen with 1-click.
>
> And, finally, I often like to include non-audio applications in the
> session (let's say editor to annotate).
>
> At the moment, since few applications support jack-session, I think to
> continue to use ladish. But I found really boring write each time
> commands application when creating a new session.
>
> Any tips? Thanks!
>
> Ivan
>
> PS
> I would like to use current qjackctl session-manager + a DE session
> manager, but I haven't found a tool to save and open named session with
> a list of current application... I'm thinking about writing myself

I'm still using a script to start a session, the only drawback are
settings in /home, IMO the best thing to do, is simply to copy /home to
restore a session.

A script can stop and start services, unbind devices, switch CPU
frequency scaling etc. pp. and if you start the script with killing all
apps, you easily can restore the session, once a session should hang-up
and if you like, you can add GIMP, Firefox and Leafpad to the audio
apps ;).

Regards,
Ralf