[LAU] LAC 2013, why not more students?

Harry van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 16:48:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM, Nils Gey <ich at nilsgey.de> wrote:

> Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren at gmail.com> wrote:
> >Putting the cost factor aside, I don't see why not more students appear
> at the LAC.
> For me it is just this.

Indeed I think that there are many (students & otherwise) who would attend
if there was more finances available. I "put it aside" as I don't think
there is anything the LAC organizers can do about that aspect.

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com>wrote:

> Is there any reason that LAC shouldn't possibly happen online?

I personally really enjoy the face-to-face chatting with like-minded
people. Conversation is a much faster medium, and ideas flow more easily. I
know when I send to list, I usually think more, and sometimes re-read my
messages before sending. To brainstorm and collaborate effectively I feel
it is fundamentally necessary to meet and have that fast interaction with
people that have similar goals or ideas. The LAC affords an opportunity for
this, I would see it as a great loss if it were to go entirely online.