[LAU] Session manager: what about?

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:21:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM, renato <rennabh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:00:05 +0100
> Ivan Tarozzi <itarozzi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Any tips? Thanks!
>
> Hi, I must admit I only tried briefly, long ago, ladish and
> jack-session, and for one reason or another I dropped them...
> recently though I've been trying out non session manager, and I must say
> I really really like it:
>
> pros:
> + it's dead simple but functional, I'd say it follows the KISS principle
> + nsm-proxy, which lets you use *any* application in a session
> + fast session switching for supported apps
> + supports session management over network
>
> The only "cons" I could think of is that ATM *very* few apps support
> it, but that isn't it's fault right?
>
> I actually don't understand this situation, why so many support
> jack-session but so little nsm (just look at [1] vs [2])? There
> was a big discussion last year [3] and all the devs that took part in
> the discussion, except Rui, agreed that it was the best session manager
> for a variety of reasons... so why so little support for it?
>
> cheers,
> renato
>
> [1] http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/jack_session
> [2] http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/nsm
> [3] http://www.linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lad/2012/3/22/189119

The list of programs supporting NSM is a bit longer than the linuxaudio
wiki would suggest. Still... As to the question of why so little support:
Although NSM was invented before jack-session, it was not released until
jack-session had been in the wild for some time. So jack-session got a bit
of a head start on patching. This was simply due to the complications of
life. LASH also had very few programs supporting it in its first years. To
date, NSM support was implemented by yours truly in all but one of the NSM
capable clients... I have a lot of projects and not a lot of time, so
patching other people's software has to be on the back burner. The real
issue is that session management is more of a users' problem than it is a
developers' problem, so there's historically been very limited interest
from developers in supporting any kind of SM, especially from developers of
monolithic applications. That being said, NSM is fairly well documented and
easy to implement support for, so the ball is in your court.

Even the few applications that are NSM-enabled comprise a complete studio.