[LAU] Been neglecting the music :(

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Mon Feb 11 21:51:59 UTC 2013

Hello Will!
   I must bag your appology, you have gven me more credit than I deserve, for
my attention must have slipped, whilst listening to Ride with Yoshimi. I
listened again and yes, I really couldn't remember the rougher section. It
does please me. A little reminiscence of Wendy Carlos. I remember her showing
a new Moog pedal, which could be used to alter the attack of presets. The
chord progression was similar and the feeling, that came with it. Rather
vintage.
   A completely different matter, that struck me, while listening to it again
is, that Yoshimi/ZynAddSubFX does have its "sound". On one hand, this is
perhaps a plus, it is recogniseable. On the other hand, this is a minus, since
it means, that not very many people seem to program it or if they do, most
tend towards Yoshimi's existing presets. I mean the feel of new patches is
similar. I think you, Will, are the only one, of whom I know, programming
Yoshimi. Still there are so many wellknown sounds, that it almost appears like
a preset synth. OK, maybe I don't know of many active users and I don't always
ask, what people used exactly. One striking feature of almost every patch is
the now "classic" reverb built into Yoshimi.
   And so much for just commenting on a bit, that slipped past. :-)
   Warmly yours
          Julien