[LAU] mixing advice/assistance needed

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Feb 11 22:02:17 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 04:28:17PM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:

> I have an old track that needs brightened up a bit. It was recorded
> on a mixing board cassette deck (I said it was old, didn't I ?), a
> direct feed I think, and the sound quality is, shall we say,
> unlovely.
>
> So how do I deal with such material ? Is an exciter useful in this
> scenario ? Or ... ?

It needs quite a bit of EQ, but there are some other issues.

* Did you try and adjust the head azimuth of the casestte
  player ? It could make a huge difference.

* The file seems to be 'perfect mono' which makes me suspect
  it was mixed to mono after playback - I can't imagine a
  recording damaged like this one producing two exactly
  equal tracks even if the original was mono. In that case
  it could help to have the L and R outputs of the player
  separately.

Ciao,

--
FA