[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 23:27:53 UTC 2013

On 02/12/2013 11:31 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> When I sold my work, I also delivered the ownership of this work. When I
> sold a graphic, it would have been unethically for me to still own
> nearly all rights for the usage of this graphic.
Keep in mind that there are different meanings to "selling your work."
Take a song, as an example.

Let's say that I've recorded and released an album.

Let's say that some big-name pop star buys the album.  He buys it for
$10.  That gives him the right to listen to it.  He can't record it
himself.  I still own all the rights to the usage of the song.

Let's say that he likes the song, and wants to record it and release it
on his next album.  I then agree to give him a  "mechanical license"
for a few cents per album he releases.  I still own all the rights to
the usage of the song.

Then, let's say that he wants to be able to do more with the song - he
can buy the copyright, and then all the rights to the song will be his.
I have no rights to the song from that point on.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]