[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 00:09:00 UTC 2013

On 02/12/2013 06:35 PM, drew Roberts wrote:
> Untrue.
> 1. He gets a copyright whether he wants one or not. He is forced to have one
> and he must make an effort to counteract this.
>
> If copyright only existed when applied for and registered, it would not be
> nearly as nasty.

Well, due to the Hague Convention in the 80's, that is rather true,
although a composer can release under alternate licenses (or into the
public domain.  Also, if the composer is the "publisher," he can simply
not enforce his copyright.

>> It's not too unlike a guy who pays for materials and training, and then
>> builds a house.  In deciding what to do with his house, he can:
>>
>> 1) charge people $500/month to live in it
>> 2) let people live in it for free
>> 3) tell people that they can live in it and give him some money if they
>> want to and can afford it
> It is completely different. You want the person to be able to prevent another
> person from buying his own materials and piece of land and build a copy of
> the the house.

I never claimed that the house was a unique design.  I merely state that
"the house" is a result of the owner investing time and material into
creating it.  It is "his" house.  He owns it, and it is within his
rights to completely control it's use.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]