[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:29:16 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 01:49 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:

> "In other words, he thinks it would be fine for others to demand
> that YOU do one hour of work for them a day for free, and that is
> acceptable until more than 24 people have made that same demand."
>
> Oh really? Can I have a quote?

You have stated that others have a RIGHT to the results of your labor,
which means that they have a right to your labor.
You also have said that as long as there was no scarcity of a thing,
then a thing can no have value because there is no contentiousness.  You
have said that people have equal claim to the product of your labor,
since you believe that they can do what they want with your creation
(copy your song and sell it, etc).  If they have this equal right to
your song, it follows that they have equal say in what you do (change
the lyrics, use a different chord, add a solo here, etc).  In a sense,
that makes them your boss.

You have 24 hours a day.  By your thinking, it follows that as long as
you work less than 24 hours a day, people have a right to the results of
your labor because there is no contention over your time.  Once there is
more work than can be done by you in 24 hour days, then your work has
value, because there is a scarcity and contentiousness.

I prefer to go by a "property" standard, because it doesn't lead to such
dystopian outcomes.  Nobody has a "right" to your person except you.
Therefore, nobody has a "right" to your labors except yourself.  Thus
nobody has a "right" to the results of your labor except yourself.  You
are free to sell it, donate it, give it away, or make whatever
conditions you want on a transfer, but that is YOUR decision, and nobody
else's.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]