[LAU] a question on Lenovo laptop

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Wed Feb 13 18:40:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 02:54:26PM +0100, Dj??ho Youn wrote:
> oh yes, maybe you're right.
> although they say it's not combo ((These connections can be used depending on
> the software setting): 1 x Microphone, 1 x Headphone), on the picture of
> the same website I see only one jack 'hole'.
> so, maybe the 'software setting' means exactly that.
> funny, because on the other models which has combo jack, they just say it's
> combo jack.
>
> anyway, good point. I won't buy anything with combo!!! (except hamburgers)

Hi,

Before you give up on the Lenovo, I'd like to mention that I
have a Thinkpad, T410, with a single audio connector.

It can take a regular 1/8" connector for stereo
headphones, but can also take a special pin
with four conductors instead of three.

There are headsets using this single connector for mic and
audio.

I put in a splitter, and was able to get sound
from a microphone, and output sound in the headphones.

The audio chipset, according to lspci, is as follows:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series
Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)

Hope this helps,

Joel

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Djého Youn <ydjeho at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > on this german shop, they say it has NOT combo jack...I'm confused now...
> > I defnitely don't want a combo jack.
> > and this reports under 12.10 and 12.04 is regarding combo jack or just
> > general output?

> >> not sure about software settings, but from the English Lenovo site it
> >> looks like it has a combo jack, which combines the mic and headphone into a
> >> single jack. A quick search shows quite a few people have problems with
> >> combo jacks and external microphones. You don't really say if you need the
> >> input side to work, so if you are just using the output you are probably
> >> safe. There seem to be reports of sound output working under 12.10 and
> >> 12.04.
> >>

> > --
> > Jae Ho YOUN
> >
> > http://jaehoyoun.com