[LAU] Ubuntu-Studio 13.04 Nvidia drivers?

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 01:54:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 22:48:02 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> Hi John :)
>
> I've got difficulties to completely understand your whole mail, perhaps
> regarding to my broken English.

Hi Ralf, sorry about the difficulty. I have no similar difficulty
understanding your posts. I'd be happy to try to re-write any part
which wasn't clear - if you think it would help. PM if you like. :)

> However, the windows managers and desktop environments might need 3D
> support and similar things, if you're using special desktop effects, so
> it can be, that a desktop environments needs this, e.g. 3D acceleration,
> as being provided, but it's provided by X (for some users perhaps by
> Wayland instead of X).

Yes, I think that could be it. I noticed a package in Synaptic called
glx-alternative-nvidia, which is indicated as "Broken" if I try to
mark it for installation. It "allows the selection of NVIDIA as GLX
provider".

> For your Ubuntu Studio Xfce shouldn't need 3D acceleration or any other
> special option.
>
> Xfce can be used with or without the proprietary NVIDIA driver.

Understood, thank you, but I must have good 3D acceleration for
screen-savers ;) and games of course, but really - some of the
X screen savers are simply stunning [1]. Also Qt5 is out! [2]

> What kernel do you run exactly? What's the output of
> uname -a
> ?

I don't have access to my email client on the new install, but
from memory a low-latency 3.8

> If it's a PREEMPT RT, than it's very likely that the proprietary driver
> can't be used with the kernel.
>
> If it's a full PREEMPT kernel with threadirqs activated, the proprietary
> driver should work.
>
> Any output for
> $ grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> ?

Yes. "Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
system's kernel log for additional error messages."

And "Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)"
and more. I'll see what happens with Xubuntu and work on from there
if I have more success with a Generic kernel.

Thanks.

1: Particularly 'Hyperspace' http://www.reallyslick.com/screensavers/
   which is in the 'rss-glx' package.

2: http://qt-project.org/qt5