[LAU] 32 vs 64 bit distro?

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Feb 14 09:15:06 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 09:36 PM, Rustom Mody wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com
> <mailto:gnome at hawaii.rr.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 02/04/2013 11:29 PM, James Stone wrote:
>
>         Is there any advantage in using a 64 bit distro for audio? Do the
>         advantages outweigh the difficulties?
>
>         I'm expecting a new computer to be delivered today and am trying to
>         decide what to install...
>
>     What difficulties? I run both 32- and 64-bit Linuxes, and have no
>     difficulties with either one.
>
> I have a Canon printer that runs on my 32 bit desktop
> Ive not yet got it running on my new 64 bit laptop
> [Note: Canon supplies 32 and 64 bit rpms but only 32 bit debs]

You used alien to convert the 64-bit RPM and install the package?

Canon's Linux support is not very good compared to HP and Epson. I have
a Canon i850. Never used it on my 64-bit system because it quit working
a couple of years before I got the 64-bit system. It took years before
non-proprietary 32-bit Linux fully supported it. (In fact, I bought
Turboprint for that purpose. And Turboprint comes in both 32- and 64-bit
Linux versions.)

I agree, you may run into odd device drivers that are 32-bit only. I
think they're very rare now! Are there any audio devices that work only
with 32-bit Linux?

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com