[LAU] Some new Bach

James Harkins jamshark70 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 14:54:19 UTC 2013

Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at ...> writes:

> On Thu, 2013-02-14 at 10:58 +0000, James Harkins wrote:
> > Bach doesn't reach the heart? Are you mad? "Erbarme dich" from the St.
Matthew's
> > Passion?
>
> "Things" are reaching the heart, that are close to own live experiences
> or close to a similar world view.
>
> You perhaps know more about Bach than I do ;), however
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Sebastian_Bach , he was had a
> sheltered, privileged life, something everybody should have, but the
> fewest have got that luck ;). He perhaps anyway likes the same flowers I
> like ;), but seemingly does share less of my world view. Without having
> knowledge of the biographies I noticed I like music, when my biography
> does share something with the composers biography, that has deep impact
> to my heart.

I think everyone experiences music in her own way. My way of experiencing Bach
isn't "right" for someone else necessarily, but I do feel my life is richer for
it. Perhaps that's why I bristle when someone suggests that analytical listening
kills the magic. For me, it brings the music even more to life.

So it's one thing to say that Bach doesn't speak to you (though it's a pity if
his music doesn't). It's another to generalize that Bach is devoid of heart.

> You e.g. likely have a girlfriend...

Boyfriend, cheers for assuming I'm straight. ;->

hjh