[LAU] Some new Bach

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Thu Feb 14 15:39:03 UTC 2013

On 02/14/2013 10:31 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com
> <mailto:dlphillips at woh.rr.com>> wrote:
>
>     Picturesque, but not historically accurate, I'm sure you know.
>     More like, where melody and melody collided. :)
>

> if line 1 and line 2 do not intersect in a harmonious way, is it still
> counterpoint? would anyone call it that?

Since "harmonious" is a loaded term - are we referring to a vertical
sonority or a horizontal progression - I'll venture a "Why not ?". After
a course in Modus Novus it's surprising what sounds harmonious. :)

But then I'm a great lover of Schoenberg and his disciples, so my
definition of "harmonious" is probably rather suspect.

Best,

dp