[LAU] Ubuntu-Studio 13.04 Nvidia drivers?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Feb 14 17:06:06 UTC 2013

On Thursday 14 February 2013 11:54:38 John Murphy did opine:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 21:12:57 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
> > On Wed, February 13, 2013 8:59 pm, John Murphy wrote:
> > > Well I just tried an Xubuntu 13.04 'daily' build and, similarly to
> > > Ubuntu, I got a login prompt without X running and installed
> > > nvidia-310-dev, which works OK. It takes ages, compared to Studio,
> > > to boot from Grub to login though, so there's some magic under the
> > > hood of the Studio version I think.
> >
> > Ubuntustudio took xubuntu as it's start at 11.10 and probably hasn't
> > merged in any new stuff xubuntu has since then. So there may just be
> > less stuff in Studio.
>
> It certainly makes for a very slick distro and one I'll probably use
> until KDE5, if not forever!
>
> Tried one more time with the low-latency 3.8.0.6 kernel, but no go.
> As soon as I rebooted after installing Generic, nvidia-310-dev was
> up and running, which is great. Means I'll be able to compare the
> performance of the two kernel types, which could be useful.
>
> Thanks.

John, in my experience, you are shooting yourself about kneecap high by
running the nvidia driver. It gets part of its performance by locking out
the interrupts, for extended periods of time.  For an app that needs true
real time, such as linuxcnc, a 5 microsecond base thread jitter in its
timing, has been logged as creating latency jitters in the 200 millisecond
range.  Even for the more forgiving servomotor stuff its not good, and its
totally intolerable for steppers which need a steady heartbeat to move at
more than creep speeds.

The nouveau driver gained some support for the 3d stuff recently, and it
should be checked out to see if it makes the xruns and such worse or
better.  As a final check to see if the video is an xrun causer, try the
vesa driver, there have been times when I was forced to use it on my
machine tool (cnc machinery) controllers.  Poor display of course, but the
machine worked great.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
My views
Today is National Existential Ennui Awareness Day.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...