[LAU] Changed: Copyright laws and such

michael noble looplog at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 00:25:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com>wrote:

> This is where we differ, at least on the surface of it. I think that it is
> unethical
> to make people ask you permission after you publicly released something.
> When I release a tune or a story or an invention, I do not aim to become a
> tyrant, who, by virtue of his work now has the world grant him a positive
> obligation.
>
> The common decency you speak about is not common to me. To me making
> people asking permission is being a jerk.

You are reading in language which was never used to argue against a case
that was not made. He didn't claim that it was right to "make" people ask,
he just said that asking was the decent thing to do, something with which I
fully agree. The same technologies that make copying infinitely more easy
also make communication infinitely more easy, so I don't see why its an
invasion of liberty to seek permission for appropriation whenever possible.