[LAU] Audio distros

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Sat Feb 16 14:38:01 UTC 2013

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 07:01:55 +0100
"Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> I dropped my old Arch, regarding to too many issues with the unfinished
> switch to systemd.
> Following the mailing list I had the impression, that the transition is
> complete and that there are no serious issues any more, but trying to
> install it yesterday, I suspect that mails regarding to issues simply are
> rejected.

Were you trying to install a new system or update an existing one?

> I still try to install the current Arch Linux later today, but seemingly
> the transition to systemd isn't finished yet and perhaps the next wicked
> transition already will be enforced in a hidden way. Just an assumption, I
> don't claim that it is that way.

I have Arch installed on a few different systems.  The one that gave me
the hardest time was my studio machine, which I was not willing to bring
up from scratch.  Fortunately I found the Arch wiki instructions on updating
to systemd to be clear and straightforward, though I waited some months after
they made the move before I tried it.

The install disc now seems to have fully integrated systemd and it was easy
to bring up a new system.  I used to be a Fedora/CCRMA user, but as the
newer kernels had realtime stuff roilled into it, the CCRMA kernel became
less necessary and there's plenty of cruft in a Fedora release.  Now F18
seems to have some serious issues with its installation process.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com