[LAU] Audiophile 24/96 volume weirdness

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Feb 16 16:37:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, February 16, 2013 3:18 am, Q wrote:

>>> I have a permanent /home and my OS on a separate partition -- could
>>> this
>>> be caused by a config file somewhere on /home and if so, where might I
>>> find it to sort this problem out?

I don't think that should affect mudita as you probably didn't run it when
you had no /home. In any case you should be able to adjust everything with
 either mudita or even alsamixer. The kernel module for the ice1712 can be
loaded with a commandline parameter saying which card you have. Is it
possible the module thinks you have a different card?

>> Depending on the version of mudita the config file is in either
>> ~/envy24control/profiles.conf or ~/.envy24control/profiles.conf.  Newer
>> versions have the file in .envy24control, I think the placement in
>> envy24control was just a mistake in version 1.0.
>>

> I have none of those.

Those only show up if you use the save profile part of mudita. They should
not effect the operation of your card though, You should still be able to
turn everything on.

> I think the right-channel volume thing started around the same time that
> I lost all SPDIF output from the 24/96, which is really annoying. I
> swapped the cables over and that made no difference (and it didn't
> affect input to the card, i.e. both cables are fine), neither did
> swapping the card for another.
>
> In the end I put it down to the DAC in my Focusrite TwinTrak having died
> (although I haven't investigated this further) and have had to put up
> with analogue out of the 24/96 ever since. If this also turned out to be
> a software issue and could be fixed I'd be overjoyed.

You should be able to test your s/pdif out by looping it back into the
s/pdif in. As soon as you do that, the "Hardware Settings tab in mudita
should show IEC958 Input Status - Input Active. You can run some audio
through as a further check, but I am assuming your Focusrite is not
indicating input signal (some LED or something).

I would look at the "Patchbay / Router" Tab in mudita And start with the
whole top row selected just to make sure something isn't funny there. It
sounds like you normally would have your s/pdif outs set to Digital Mix
which should also be ok. But setting things up with the mixer out of
things and just straight I/Os might be the best starting point for trouble
shooting.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net