[LAU] Audio distros

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Feb 16 20:58:50 UTC 2013

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 21:27:57 +0100, Jonathan E. Brickman
<jeb at ponderworthy.com> wrote:
> Don't know what's up with all of that, but my Archbang (
> http://www.archbang.org ) is 100% systemd and doing very well.

But you did not keep your Arch using init until the day, when init was
dropped entirely and there was a mess regarding to packages? If you
switched from init to systemd at the right moment it for sure was ok. It
also would be possible to fix my old Arch, but for sure it's less work to
make a new install.

And regarding to my issues with installing Arch now, installing Archbang
isn't the same as installing Arch Linux with PPPoE.

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 21:07:09 +0100, John Murphy
<rosegardener at freeode.co.uk> wrote:
> OT: How do you like FreeBSD's tcsh shell and configuration?
>     One of the first things I do on any new Linux install is install
>     tcsh and get it working with 'history search' on up/down arrow
>     keys like fbsd, and then get my prompt looking right.
>     Soon feels like home...

*chuckle*

I run scripts with (ba)sh on freebsd :D, but indeed (t)csh is interesting,
assumed I ever should relearn C. At the moment I don't have knowledge,
neither about bash, nor about tcsh, I only have a very limited repertoire
of commands and always need to google how to use them and I'm accustomed
to use bash.

A note: I installed FreeBSD only to test my audio card and I'll keep it
for toying. Even if not everybody will be as stupid as I'm, the usage of
ALSA seems to be an issue in general for FreeBSD, IOW it's not easy to get
a sequencer running.