[LAU] Audio distros

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 08:01:18 UTC 2013

On 17/02/13 14:56, david wrote:

> OK. How can I use apt-get to tell me exactly what "pkgname" is when I don't know
> what the package is named? Or grab a package's changelog?

apt-get changelog puredata
   that downloads and displays the changelog of the current installable version

apt-cache search jack audio
  ... it lists packages by searching the short descriptions

apt-cache rdepends puredata   or apt-cache depends jack
   depending on what you are after these can be useful as well

but using apt-get and command line a couple of other packages are very useful as
well ...

apt-show-versions -R jack
   this will look for packages available in the repos by part of a name, using a
regex .. ok so the -R is a little cryptic, but if you prefer use --regex or
--regex-all

apt-file search bin/axi-cache
   this one lets you find what packages any file available in any of your
repositories is in (it uses a local index), so if you are looking for a
particular file use that. axi-cache is a xapian index for some of this stuff.
  It will also list the files in a package.

Simon