[LAU] Changed: Copyright laws and such

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sun Feb 17 23:00:50 UTC 2013

On Friday 15 February 2013 10:18:00 michael noble wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > Are you serious?
>
> Yes and no. I think you're as likely to do away with copyright as you are
> to do away with desire simply because there are so many people who desire
> copyright to exist.

Most days I think I agree with you which is why I currently suggest a
copyright offensive instead:

http://zotzbro.blogspot.com/2007/04/some-thoughts-on-copyright-offensive.html

> Is it a worthy battle to fight? I don't know.

However, people are already fighting the battle to abolish copyright and as I
have said on these lists recently, I would certainly prefer no copyright law
at all than the copyright laws we have today.

And some days I think that the so called copyright maximalists will push too
far and we will see a major backlash and perhaps even see them abolished.

> All I
> know is that if we really want to talk about freedom then I think we need
> to admit first of all to the entrapment inherent to human nature that stems
> from desire.

As in slaves to our own desires or even base desires? I can see the need to
speak to that.

> If we are not willing to start from that most basic point,
> then most else seems like smokescreen - a kind of post
> hoc justification for getting what we want. There's no harm in wanting
> something, I just don't like dressing it up in moral arguments as though it
> were something other than desire. To me that will just generate an endless
> tit for tat of iterative argumentation from either side.

Well, I don't happen to like the greed is good language that is bandied about
when speaking of Free Markets myself. I also sometimes posit that a Free
Market may be necessary but it is certainly not sufficient.

all the best,

drew