[LAU] Audio distros

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 02:22:53 UTC 2013

On 02/17/2013 02:28 AM, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 08:50:39PM -1000, david wrote:
>> Hmm, last time I checked, none of the deb-multimedia versions were
>> set to be more recent than the Sid ones. They're also not
>> automatically upgradeable, apparently. At least, last time I did a
>> system upgrade (not dist-upgrade) it didn't upgrade any of the
>> deb-multimedia packages, even though some of them had been upgraded
>> by deb-multimedia. At least I have to manually upgrade one if I want
>> to.
>>
>> I mostly use it for the win32 codecs, AACS keys, easytag, mplayer.
>
> easytag and mplayer(2) are available from the Debian repositories.
> I don't have the win32 codecs installed and have yet to find a file
> which doesn't play, although, of course, your needs may be more
> demanding than mine.

I know, I had mplayer from the Debian repositories. easytag-aac (with
MP4 support) is not available from Debian repositories.

>> I don't always agree with Debian's personal idiocies, such as their
>> hatred of cdrecord. I replaced wodim with cdrecord, and was
>> surprised to find out that CD burning WORKED ON MY LAPTOP AGAIN.
>> Wodim had been failing with "hardware" errors for a few years before
>> that.
>
> Were you using wodim from the command line? You should file a bug, if it
> is not working for you.

I was using wodim via K3B. Wodim was reporting hardware errors (via K3B)
with my CD drive. My laptop was old then, it's a couple of years older
now, so I figured the CD drive was going bad. So I quit burning CDs on
it. Then I read the cdrecord team's side of the issue with Debian, and
decided to see if cdrecord would work. It did, successfully burning CDs
on my laptop without hardware errors.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com