[LAU] Audio distros

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 02:51:39 UTC 2013

On 02/16/2013 09:01 PM, Simon Wise wrote:
> On 17/02/13 14:23, Chris Bannister wrote:
>>>
>>> I find synaptic a much-easier way to manage packages than the
>>> cryptic command lines of apt-get or dpkg. For instance, I can easily
>>> see what a particular package recommends and decide if I want to
>>> also include one or more the recommendations.
>>
>> That what "apt-cache policy<pkgname>", and "apt-cache show<pkgname>"
>> are for. I don't see how you can call the command lines crptic!
>
> It's really about if you prefer mousing around in menus or typing a few
> words. Either way it is easy to get the information you need, and make
> the choices you want.
>
> After finding out the words to type I prefer the typing, or if in a gui
> then I prefer to find out the keyboard shortcuts (either of these means
> learning something rather than searching each time, but layers of tabs
> and menus will seem just as cryptic if they are unfamiliar)

I like keyboard shortcuts. My employer uses Windows XP. I've been known
to work almost all day without touching the mouse even once ... The
problem with CLI's is finding out the words to type ... GUI menus at
least give you some guidance when looking for the words.

One thing I noticed just a few days ago while updating my wife's netbook
(it runs Ubuntu 12.04LTS). I mistyped a CLI command, and Ubuntu
obligingly came up with a list of suggestions for what I was looking for.

>   ... words are just my preferred way of working, they seem less cryptic
> to me.

Oh, I do business using words. And graphics. And sound. But remembering
specific words to the degree of detail needed by many command line apps
(how many people even remember all of mplayer's command line options,
let alone their suboptions?) Especially when it's not something I do
that often.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com