[LAU] Basic question about use of a lowlatency kernel

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Mon Feb 18 21:00:50 UTC 2013

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:57:22 +0100, Paul Davis
<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 3:36 PM, <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:
>
>> If a better response time from the kernel is something that's Good, why
>> isn't lowlatency kernels a default in Linux distros (well, at least in
>> Linux Mint and Fedora)  If it is So Good, what are the arguments for not
>> having a lowlatency kernel by default ?
>>

> latency and bandwidth are opposing goals. server oriented  (compute-based
> or storage-based) systems want to have the highest possible bandwidth,
> not
> the lowest latency. generally, at least.

 From what I hear, the throughput of for example linux-lowlatency on Ubuntu
is 10% less than with linux-generic. So, that would be bad for servers in
deed.
Also, it is said to use more battery power, but I have not seen any data
on both of these things, so I really have no sources on that.
I do know that kernel developers in Ubuntu aren't interested in using
-lowlatency configs over -generic ones for these sort of reasons.