[LAU] OT: reply to list..

Chris Bannister cbannister at slingshot.co.nz
Tue Feb 19 04:27:01 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 05:43:44PM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> As for ALSA list too, because for some threads several developers
> could be involved, that perhaps do not follow each mail to those
> lists. For LAU it's an advantage to Cc privately, because mails
> often don't come through the list, there's no other list I'm
> experiencing this issue.

Yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head. For development and
collaborative work it makes sense to CC, while for a support¹ or
discussion list it seems to be a hindrance.

> It's not an issue for me, but indeed, the settings for LAU are odd
> and absolutely uncommon for mailing lists.

It's a peculiarity of the mailman list software, but more so because of
the default option--with the dubious heading "Avoid duplicate mail", set
to yes, with the unfortunate consequence that you don't get any mail
sent from the list!

> Again, I feel fine with it, but IMO it's understandable that some
> list members don't like the list's settings to handle this issue.

Maybe the members who filter their mail into different folders?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X