[LAU] Basic question about use of a lowlatency kernel

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 08:16:19 UTC 2013

On 19/02/13 04:36, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> If a better response time from the kernel is something that's Good, why isn't
> lowlatency kernels a default in Linux distros (well, at least in Linux Mint and
> Fedora) If it is So Good, what are the arguments for not having a lowlatency
> kernel by default ? Any drawbacks ? I presume the Audio-oriented Linux distros
> do have lowlatency kernels by default, do they ?

aside from the other things mentioned there is a trade-off between GUI
responsiveness and audio latency ... if you do the full rt-audio set-up then the
programs you set as very high priority can easily lock everything else out. That
is fine if that is what you want, but it certainly isn't right for a default.
With less extreme settings there is still a cost re desktop interaction and that
is important for many people.

Simon