[LAU] Basic question about use of a lowlatency kernel

Jeff Sandys jpsandys at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:25:56 UTC 2013

> From: jonetsu at teksavvy.com
>
> If a better response time from the kernel is something that's Good, why
> isn't lowlatency kernels a default in Linux distros (well, at least in
> Linux Mint and Fedora)  If it is So Good, what are the arguments for not
> having a lowlatency kernel by default ?  Any drawbacks ?  I presume the
> Audio-oriented Linux distros do have lowlatency kernels by default, do
> they ?

The Fedora Musicians Guide has a good topic on Real-Time and Low-Latency:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/Musicians_Guide/chap-Musicians_Guide-Real_Time_and_Low_Latency.html

My understanding:
* A Real-Time kernel will give you more consistent, reliable latency.
   - But not necessarily lower latency
* Useful, proven, RT features migrate into the main kernel.
   - So use the RT patches to test and prove them.
* Current main kernels give reasonable performance for most musicians.
   - Your mileage may vary, if you get some annoying x-runs use the RT patch.
   - Sound travels ~1 foot per millisecond, 8 feet from the speaker =
8ms latency

-- Jeff