[LAU] light weight, full featured desktop for audio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Feb 20 13:35:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 13:59:02 +0100, William Light <wrl at illest.net> wrote:

> on Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:45:43AM +0100, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>> 2013/2/20 Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net>
>> >
>> > With all the talk about minimal DE installs, and reading about the
>> > problems with different kernels and video cards... and what things
>> cause
>> > xruns. I thought of a solution that may work well.
>> >
>> > Here is my minimal DE through the eyes of ps:
>> >

>> About minimal/light DE, I would suggest the use of awesome
>> http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Or, if it fits your workflow, there's not much lighter than dwm.
> http://dwm.suckless.org/

Perhaps there are, maybe there aren't, but tiled WMs anyway are useless
for a serious audio production GUI workflow, you even don't need a WM,
simply use X only, if you like to break a sane workflow.

At the moment I build a minimal install, that seriously can be used for a
common audio workflow and for this install I keep Xfce4.

There's a difference between a minimal install that makes sense and a geek
contest, to get something that is lightweight, but useless for serious GUI
audio work.

You at least want something as LXDE or Fluxbox. Frame based WMs might fit
to the very special needs of a minority, but can't be a serious
recommendation.

Regards,
Ralf