[LAU] light weight, full featured desktop for audio

William Light wrl at illest.net
Thu Feb 21 23:47:09 UTC 2013

on Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 09:12:39AM -0500, Brett McCoy wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Raffaele Morelli
> <raffaele.morelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2013/2/20 William Light <wrl at illest.net>:
> >
> >> Or, if it fits your workflow, there's not much lighter than dwm.
> >> http://dwm.suckless.org/
> >>
> >> -w
> >
> > it seems really good but that's too much for me :-)
> > BTW I'll have a try
>
> "You don?t have to learn Lua/sh/ruby or some weird configuration file
> format (like X resource files), beside C, to customize it for your
> needs: you only have to learn C (at least in order to edit the header
> file)."
>
> So you have to recompile every time you want to tweak settings?

yep! it's kind of a hilarious piece of software, honestly. my suggestion
of it was mostly a joke, and i would certainly be laughing at it along
with everybody else, but unfortunately it fits me like a glove and i
find using it to be an absolute joy. however, if it doesn't fit your
workflow, it doesn't fit your workflow.

i wasn't really expecting a backlash, maybe just a chuckle or two.

dwm has both idiosyncrasies and a learning curve, but so too do most
"expert" pieces of software. vim and emacs are the canonical examples,
but i think that much "professional" software fits this bill, especially
software aimed at creative people. photoshop? blender, 3ds max? how
about logic, REAPER, ableton live, or any number of other programs in
our niche?

for the record, i use renoise in dwm (in a floating workspace) and it's
fine. dwm isn't all tiling all the time if you don't want it to be.

-w