[LAU] sending sysex while jackd runs

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Feb 23 18:08:50 UTC 2013

On Sat, February 23, 2013 8:16 am, Johannes Kroll wrote:

> jack. Do you need that driver? If you don't, you can use the "seq"
> driver instead. I find that one more useful anyway. You can change that
> in Setup -> Settings in qjackctl. (Also, checking "Enable client/port
> aliases" in Setup -> Display shows you readable MIDI device names in
> the qjackctl MIDI tab, instead of the useless JACK default names.)

Well, checking "Enable client/port aliases" didn't give me any nicer midi
names, but I was able to change the aliases. However these aliases seem to
be a qjackctl thing only. ardour, patchage, etc. still show them as the
original jack names.

On the upside, I was able to rename inputs 5 to 8 so they are obviously
not usable and rename my spdif ports as such. I have a delta66 and like
any ice1712 based IF it shows 12/10 i/o if they are usable or not. What
would be really nice would be to be able to tell jack not to show certain
ports at all and to add aliases at the jack level. This is not just a
ports number as the 6 ports are not contiguous.

Perhaps this is really an alsa driver issue. I am not sure about the
output ports... I have never done it, but the unused output channels can
still be used as inputs to the multi-mixer. I wouldn't think this would be
useful though as mixing input audio and output audio together might show
latency differences between channels. Changing the alsa driver to show
less than 12/10 might break mudita24 as well.

Really, the ice1712 pci cards seem to be one of the best audio solutions
around for stability. I would like to see an expanded version that works
for pcie (more ports, maybe the ability to gang them at the same port). It
seems that audio interface manufactures wait for the chip to come out
before making the IF.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net