[LAU] [a bit OT] freesound.org - a short venting

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Tue Feb 26 15:29:50 UTC 2013

Hello everyone!
   I hope, that there is someone here, who has strong ties to freesound.org.
   I went back there today to give registration another go. I said, that their
registration was rather a nuiance (captcha codes). Now I find audio captchas,
as provided by google. Which is all very well. I can download the audio
captcha and listen to it. After a quarter ofan hour Imanaged to guess a right
code and then was asked to copy a lot of text into another entry field. OK,
even that is no problem. But then, there is no button to press. Javascript.
   So I think, I might give it a go and send a message to kindly ask for
support. But of course: I am politely asked to use the captcha.
   I have been wondering: for a free site, sharing material with all the world,
if the world so desires, they are very well hidden. I know a fair number of
commercial web sites, which are easier to access and register with, including
- but not limited to - amazon and jpc, a large German musical instruments'
shop,...
   I know, they have problems with spam, but so have others. So have/had we at
some time, so have some forums, I once registered with and still, they all
weren't that bricked off. - I am part of a minority, even a rather small one,
seeing, that I use text-based programs, whereever possible. But I nkow of
others, who do have their scripts disabled for various reasons (blind or not).
   I do hope, that someone here really is part of the team, otherwise I would
have wasted words and flooded this list with unnecessary spam of my own. :-)
   Warm regards
          Julien