[LAU] Jack users - how many channels do you want with PA module-jackdbus-detect?

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Feb 26 19:19:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:50:39 +0100, Bearcat M. Şándor
<hometheater at feline-soul.com> wrote:

> I assume that the channels can be anything we want and don't have to be
> based on ITU standards? I'm planning on playing with ambisonics sometime
> soon.

you can always change the channels in pulseaudio configs. The system wide
config is at /etc/pulse/default.pa

I'd change it from:

load-module module-jackdbus-detect

to:

load-module module-jackdbus-detect channels=2

This is initially to be used on Ubuntu 13.04, which will be shipping
pulseaudio 3.0, if I can get people to agree on that.
I'd be interested in suggesting this change to the main source as well.
This is however just a hack.
It would be nicer if you could set different profiles for the module in
the PA mixer, just as you can for different audio devices. Until then, I
believe that people will prefer a stereo interface by default over a
surround type.

Another nice change in pulseaudio 3.0 is that from what it seems, jack is
able to grab a device from PA without any problems.