[LAU] Jack users - how many channels do you want with PA module-jackdbus-detect?

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Feb 26 21:16:43 UTC 2013

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:06:11 +0100, Paul Davis
<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 20:22:09 +0100, Paul Davis
>> <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
>> wrote:

>>> this has been true for a long time. it is distro packagers who manage
>>> break this, not pulseaudio.
>>>

>> Not true. It was fixed in the upstream code recently. Do you have an
>> example of where packaging has broken PA jack interoperability?
>>

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jack-audio-connection-kit/+bug/480103

That bug is related to the wrapper script that used to be a part of the
qjackctl package, and though it still is for current releases, it hasn't
been doing any suspending of PA for quite a while, because the wrapper
script has been broken.

The reason for the wrapper script was likely because of the bug where PA
was not letting go of the device when jack was asking for it. There was a
mechanism for it, but it wasn't working properly. It would only work on
some machines, in certain situations. For some, not at all.
There was an upstream fix. I haven't had any issues at all since
pulseaudio 3.0, and that would indicate that it in deed has been fixed now.