[LAU] Jack users - how many channels do you want with PA module-jackdbus-detect?

Mac ussndmac at charter.net
Thu Feb 28 12:25:05 UTC 2013

>Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 14:05:40 +0100
>From: "Kaj Ailomaa" <zequence at mousike.me>
>To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>Subject: Re: [LAU] Jack users - how many channels do you want with PA
>        module-jackdbus-detect?
>>
>> I happen to agree. If there are x PA devices on my MOBO, I want to see
>> x of them in JACK.
>>

>Not sure if we're talking about the same thing here. I wasn't suggesting
>we make devices not show. Only that the module connecting PA to jack would
>be stereo by default.

I don't typically think of "stereo", but, just 2 channels that happen
to be left and right.

I don't pretend to know about PA. I'm guessing, from your question,
that PA has the concept of pairing two JACK sinks/sources as a stereo
sink/source?

>Are you saying you would be using jack through you firewire device to get
>surround, instead of what I would assume you have, an onboard device that
>also has surround support directly with PA?
>Why use jack for that?

Different config for different things:

Audio source (5.1, stereo, youtube) >>>> firewire >>>> tri-amp'd 1kw system

or:

Audio source (whatever) >>>>> mobo devices (say headphones)

Mac