[LAU] Dual Delta Setup

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jan 1 04:05:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Mon, December 31, 2012 6:58 am, Paul Davis wrote:

> >> Quite honestly, it does not seem to be something that _should_ be done
> >> by
> >> ALSA either, because properly joining two devices would mean an extra
> >> buffer (and latency).
> >

> > this is not true, if they are clock-synced.
>
> Well there is sync and sync. It seems the cards are in "sync" in that they
> are exactly the same frequency, but not in "sync" phase wise in the
> transfer of data.

"startup" of linked PCM devices should take less than a handful of
milliseconds. if it doesn't then i suggest that its a driver-specific
issue, not an ALSA one. the internal driver design has this in mind. if
they are <<1 sample "out of phase" it should not make any difference *if*
ALSA waits for the last/slowest device.