[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 08:23:25 UTC 2013

On 01/02/2013 03:13 AM, Tim E. Real wrote:
> On January 1, 2013 07:26:42 PM Al Thompson wrote:
>> On 01/01/2013 02:20 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> The way our ears work, what frequency we actually hear shifts slightly

>>> Humm, I wonder if this is why much of Johnny Cash's work has him 25 to 50
>>> cents flat.  He was back on key for a while after the tonsillectomy.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Gene
>> Well, some people just sing flat.  (Bob Dylan comes to mind).  No amount
>> of monitor magic will fix tone-deafness.
> Turn on the "Auto-Ruin" !

Can you imagine how immediately forgettable and horrible the classics we
all know and love would have been if Auto-Tune had been invented back
then?  Or how sterile and lifeless all those mixes would have been if
they had been "corrected" within an inch of their lives on a DAW, played
by MIDI and quantized, had fifty completely unrelated reverbs gracing
the various tracks?

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]