[LAU] Pro Audio? OT rant.

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 08:35:10 UTC 2013

> It's a simple reason if you have the math background:

Those with an engineering background will point out that extended
frequency range generally comes at cost to some other metric.  No
parameter comes for free; it's traded off against something else.

(You mention that of course, but I wanted to stress that it's just as
likely to be a net-loss tradeoff as a net-gain).

> A wide-band
> transducer with high damping is better able to reproduce the signals that
> you feed it, but also loses some of its capability to deliver power.

It typically loses a _substantial_ amount of efficiency.  The power
amplifier then has to work that much harder, and it will see objective
fidelity drop precipitously as power increases.

Nothing for free.

Monty