[LAU] questions re: systemd and audio in Arch UPDATE

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun Jan 6 20:45:06 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 06, 2013 at 01:21:29PM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:

> A quick note of thanks for the support from my fellow Archers. I've
> successfully switched from initscripts to systemd, my audio system
> is intact and well-behaved, everything else is working as expected,
> I'm a happy guy.

I did the same exercise last week, doing a full install on the
'spare' system of the Casa del Suono, the one that should be
able to take the place of any of the 5 machines used there if
any one should break.

Had some booting problems (solved by blacklisting the pata_acpi
module) but otherwise everything seems to work.

One thing I still have to investigate is that contrary to what
logind is expected to do, audio devices are still owned by user
root, group audio - exactly as I want things to be. According
to the docs logind would assign them to the login of the 'active
session' instead.

Another thing I noticed is that if there is some error condition
during boot, and then doing a powerof, systemd seems to do an
'alsactl store' even if didn't yet reach the 'alsactl restore'
during booting. The result is that your defaults are overwritten,
e.g. for an RME MADI the stored state will have all gains at zero.

Ciao,

--
FA