[LAU] Rhodes patches, was Re: CAPS 0.9.3 and 0.4.6

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Sun Jan 6 22:09:29 UTC 2013

On 06/01/13 05:54, Tim Goetze wrote:
> [Dave Phillips]
>> You could take a week or so and go through all the Rhodes patches available for
>> the DX/TX synths, via Hexter of course. :)
>>
>> I also like the Rhodes patches for Yoshimi/ZynAddSubFX.
>>
>> Maybe Pianoteq has something Rhodesy ?
>
> Thanks for the pointers, Dave!  I like the physical modelling approach
> Pianoteq is taking, and I'd expect it to work well for a Rhodes, but
> this particular quest is for something that's truly free so it'll be
> the first two first.

The Pianoteq Rhodes is great, but if you want free options, here are two
more to consider:

The MDA plugin set (ported to LV2 here:
http://drobilla.net/software/mda-lv2/) includes MDA EPiano, which is a
nice, generic eletric piano. It's light on resources and it's quite
adjustable, which is great, though I do think it sounds a little dull
somehow. Definitely worth installing, though.

The other option is the Learjeff jRhodes3 soundfont
(http://learjeff.net/sf/sf.html). It's only 76MB, so it's a bit lacking
in velocity layers compared to a good commercial sample library, but it
still sounds great. Works fine in Fluidsynth/Qsynth, though I used sfZed
to convert it to SFZ format to use with the Linuxsampler plugin.

Thanks
Leigh