[LAU] ffmpeg or libav

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 09:13:55 UTC 2013

In all three of these examples it wasn't the fault of the Debian
maintainers that these alternate versions get used, it was the authors of
the software switching from Free a software license such as the GPL to one
that the Debian social contract no longer considers free or trying to
enforce copyright on corporate logos or whatever.

I for one am glad that Debian has some standards here and is willing to
maintain them. If you happen not to like it and you are pro copyrights and
non-free software then you are free to use Ubuntu, Red Hat or another
distro that is more open to non-free or coryright software.

It's Debian's social contract that also stops stuff like the Amazon spyware
making its way into the Debian repos along with the fact its not run by a
corporation which definitely makes if different from Ubuntu and even more
so the Apple and Google app stores.

There are web pages dedicated to the underhand, often criminal tactics that
have been employed by MS and Apple over the decades yet I know of no such
list of nasties for Debian or any other community distro other than the
usual whines of disgruntled users which you get with any OS. Some of you
may not like Debian but they are certainly not in the same league as MS for
nastiness by any stretch of the imagination.